Posts for: November, 2016
How your doctors in Dothan can help you
You want to have a baby and you think you’ve tried everything to increase your chances. You’ve heard all of the advice and old-wives’ tales but still haven’t been able to conceive. You wonder if you might be infertile. You don’t have to deal with the uncertainty of infertility alone. It’s time to call the experts at Women’s Medical Center in Dothan, AL. They want to help you.
Infertility is a common problem, affecting 10 to 15 percent of couples. Infertility problems occur with women and men equally, each accounting for one-third of infertility problems. The remaining infertility issues cannot be attributed to one cause.
You may be infertile if you’ve been regularly having intercourse with your partner for at least one year and are still unable to get pregnant. Infertility may be due to:
- A long menstrual cycle (over 35 days)
- A short menstrual cycle (less than 21 days)
- Irregular or absent periods
- Low sperm count
The first thing to do if you think you might be infertile is to visit your doctors in Dothan. They will run a thorough series of tests to determine how to help you conceive. Infertility treatment involves two different methods, either restoring fertility or assisting with reproduction using medical techniques.
If you and your doctors decide on restoring your fertility, they may suggest a medication or combination of medications to help you conceive. These medications may include:
- Clomiphene citrate, to stimulate your ability to ovulate
- Gonadotropins, to stimulate your ovaries to produce more eggs
- Metformin, to combat insulin-resistance which can cause infertility
- Letrozole, to induce ovulation
- Bromocriptine, to eliminate ovulation problems caused by excess pituitary function
If you and your doctors decide on medically assisting reproduction, they may suggest:
- Surgery, to remove fibroids or growths preventing pregnancy
- Surgical reversal of tubal ligation to restore fertility
- Surgery to open blocked fallopian tubes
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI), placing sperm inside the uterus
- Assisted reproduction (IVF), combining the eggs and sperm in a laboratory setting and then placing the embryo into the uterus
If you think you might be infertile, don’t worry. You can get help to restore your ability to have children. Having a child is one of life’s greatest gifts and you deserve to enjoy bringing a life into the world. To find out more about infertility treatments, call the experts at Women’s Medical Center in Dothan, AL today!